What is Poison Ivy?
Poison Ivy is a plant that can cause serious reactions to the human skin when contact occurs.
If you come into contact with poison ivy, you may experience the following symptoms
• Breathing difficulty
• A sudden breakout of rash over the body
• Sudden swelling particularly in sensitive areas such as the eyes
The reason the skin reacts so dramatically to contact with a poison Ivy plant is due to the naturally occurring oils found in the plant which inflame the skin and irritate the body
How is a Poison Ivy reaction diagnosed?
Your doctor or dermatologist will usually ask if there is a chance you may have been exposed to the direct contact with poison ivy recently to confirm the diagnosis.
How is a Poison Ivy reaction it treated?
Treatment involves a thorough cleaning of the skin to remove any remaining oil that is irritating the skin. Some antihistamines may help to reduce the reactive symptoms and it is important not to scratch the affected areas as this will only worsen the condition and cause longer healing time and more discomfort.